One of the most senior protest leaders in Sudan has told Sky News the country is on the verge of descending into civil war, with regular army officers preparing to march on the capital Khartoum in support of civilians.
The warnings come after militia fighters launched an attack on the main sit-in protest site, killing and injuring dozens, with tear gas and live fire, Sky News reports.
Earlier, Al Jazeera reports that the head of Sudan’s Transitional Military Council (TMC) has said he is scrapping all agreements with the main opposition coalition and will move ahead with elections to be held within nine months.
The announcement by Lieutenant General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan in the early hours of Tuesday came after security forces fired live fire to clear the main protest site outside the defence ministry in Khartoum, the focal point in the demonstrators’ months-long struggle for civilian rule.
Protest groups said at least 35 people were killed and hundreds wounded in the raid by the security forces, calling it a “bloody massacre”.
“The military council decides to stop negotiating with the Alliance for Freedom and Change [group representing protesters in negotiations] and cancel what had been agreed on and to hold general elections within nine months,” Burhan said in a televised statement.
Monday was the worst day of violence since the military overthrow of long-time autocrat Omar al-Bashir on April 11 after months of mass protests against his three-decade rule.
Via Al Jazeera / Sky